5 Tops Tips to Keep Your Home Secure from your local emergency locksmith specialising in Fuengirola, Mijas & Benalmadena:
- Update your locks – Are any of your locks damaged? Are there any keys floating around with strangers? Are the locks easy to pick, bump or open? If you have answered yes to any of these questions then it is time to upgrade your locks with high security cylinders.
- Think ahead before going on holiday – Take steps to prevent burglaries when you go on holiday. Ask a neighbour to push any flyers and junk mail through your letterbox (or pull it out and dispose of it), and set up a timer to switch lights on and off sporadically.
If possible, ask a trusted friend to stay in your home for the duration of your holiday, or to make regular visits to it – this may be necessary if you have a pet!
- Mark your valuables – You can use a UV pen to mark your house number and post-code on any expensive items. Admittedly, this won’t discourage burglars from stealing your goods, but it will help the police to prove that an item was stolen from you should they recover it, and may see you receiving your stolen property should it be found in pawn shops or in a burglar’s possession.
- Keep door and windows locked – Simply put, good habits go a long way. Statistics on home break-ins indicate that many burglars are just looking for an easy target. Most burglaries happen during daylight hours (between 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.) and they are typically completed within 8-10 minutes. 34% of burglars enter the front door; another 23% enter through a first-floor window. Thieves are looking for easy-access property in houses that are likely to be empty. Lock your doors and windows whenever they’re not in use, even when you’re at home.
- Get a safe – In the event that someone gets by your other home security strategies, make sure that valuables are protected. An in-home safe is a secure depository for everything from jewellery to vital documents like passports. You want a safe that is fire-resistant, waterproof, and heavy enough that a thief can’t walk away with it.
Follow these suggestions to get the most protection from your safe.
- Look for safes with redundant locks (that’s two locks on one safe).
- Select the right size safe for the valuables you want to protect.
- Decide if you want a portable safe or one that’s anchored.
We are Security of Spain your number one locksmith on the Costa del Sol. Call us for general lock work and home security and we are always available for emergency locksmith duties!